Dan Marino made headlines on Monday when it was revealed that he was one of 14 former NFL players to file a lawsuit against the league over concussion-related issues.
It turns out that Marino’s actions may have been a bit premature, as the Hall of Fame quarterback quickly backtracked from his actions on Tuesday.
According to a source, Marino filed the suit by accident and plans to withdraw the lawsuit that was filed with the U.S. District Court in Philadelphia last week.
“It was never Marino’s intention to initiate litigation in this case, but to ensure that in the event he had adverse health consequences down the road, he would be covered with health benefits,” the source told the Sun-Sentinel. “They are working to correct the error.”
The NFL and more than 4,500 former players initially agreed on a $765 million settlement last August that would help retired pros that were suffering from concussion symptoms get proper care.
That settlement was rejected in January, however, and hundreds of players have sued the league since then seeking compensation for their ongoing health issues.
As for Marino, the 52-year-old reported two concussions during his 17-year career with the Miami Dolphins but has not reported any resulting symptoms since his retirement in 1999.
UPDATE: Marino has confirmed he withdrew the lawsuit, per Armando Salguero of the Miami Herald.
“Within the last year I authorized a claim to be filed on my behalf just in case I needed future medical coverage to protect me and my family in the event I later suffered from effects of head trauma,” Marino said. “In so doing I did not realize I would be automatically listed as a plaintiff in a lawsuit against the NFL. I have made the decision it is not necessary for me to be part of any claims or this lawsuit and therefore I am withdrawing as a plaintiff effective immediately. I am sympathetic to other players who are seeking relief who may have suffered head injuries.”
Photo via Twitter/@washingtonpost
Powered by WordPress.com VIP