There’s been plenty of talk about who knew what and when in the Ray Rice domestic violence saga. One of the NFL’s biggest power brokers went to bat for the league and its commissioner Tuesday.
New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft appeared on “CBS This Morning” in a previously scheduled publicity stop to talk about the network’s new Thursday night football slate. However, after Rice was suspended indefinitely by the NFL and released by the Baltimore Ravens on Monday, Kraft had to weigh in, and he strongly condemned the running back’s deplorable actions.
“I think everyone that witnessed that video yesterday has to be outraged and really disgusted to see someone associated with us doing something like that us,” Kraft said. “Anyone who is a real man doesn’t hit a woman.”
Kraft also defended NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, who has been the target of criticism in past weeks and again Monday for his handling of the Rice situation.
“I know our commissioner has taken some heat,” Kraft said. “I just want to say that I spoke with him (Monday) not knowing what was going to happen and knowing I was coming in here. He had no knowledge of this video. …
“The way he’s handled this situation himself, coming out with the mea culpa and his statement a couple of weeks ago or 10 days ago and setting a very clear policy of how we conduct ourselves in the NFL I thought was excellent. Anyone who’s second-guessing that doesn’t know him.”
Kraft also was asked when he thought Rice might be picked up by another NFL team.
“I don’t think he’ll play another NFL game,” Kraft said. “I’ll be shocked if some team would pick him up.”
When asked if he’d ever consider signing Rice to the Patriots, Kraft flatly responded “No.”
Powered by WordPress.com VIP