Helmet Lawsuit Nets Colorado Family $11.5 Million After Jury Finds Riddell Did Not Warn Wearers About Concussions

RiddellA Colorado family successfully sued Riddell for failing to warn wearers of concussion dangers.

The family was awarded $11.5 million in the lawsuit and Riddell will have to pay 27 percent, or $3.1 million, according to The Associated Press. The other 73 percent of responsibility lands on Rhett Ridolfi‘s coaches, who won’t have to pay up since they’re government employees. Ridolfi suffered a concussion at Trinidad High School in 2008 and now has severe brain damage and paralysis on his left side.

Ridolfi’s lawyer thinks the company is in serious trouble with a similar lawsuit against Riddell coming out of Los Angeles. Thousands of NFL players have also filed a complaint against the company for related issues. Riddell planned on appealing the verdict, but elected not to when jurors rejected allegations that there were defects in the company’s helmet designs.

Photo via Facebook/New England Patriots from B/R

Yardbarker

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 183,860 other followers