The Red Sox slugger told WEEI.com's Rob Bradford that he went to Massachusetts General
Hospital on Monday to have the procedure done to ease his ailing
Achilles, but that it was simply a precautionary measure.
"I did it just to make sure," Ortiz said.
talked to so many people that had it done, so I wanted to be sure. They
said they were sore after doing it, but I wasn't sore at all."
As a result of the treatment, Ortiz –– who had previously put off the procedure in favor of PRP injections with hope of playing again during the 2011 season –– is barred from running for the
next four to six weeks. But he expects to be ready for spring training.
"The doctor said I could play right now," he said. "I did it just to make sure everything was ready to go."
Last week, Red Sox general manager Ben Cherington reiterated his desire
to re-sign the designated hitter, who is slated to be a free agent, and a report on Tuesday suggested that the team was ready to negotiate beginning next week.
Despite a shortened season, Ortiz blasted 23 home runs and batted .318
this year in 90 games.
Powered by WordPress.com VIP