Pedro Martinez says he’s a Hall of Famer. In 2015, the voters can make that official.
The former Boston Red Sox pitcher spoke with reporters Wednesday at the team’s spring training facility, reflecting on his recent induction into the Red Sox Hall of Fame and discussing his case for enshrinement in Cooperstown.
“I’m looking forward to that,” Martinez said, via WEEI.com. “There’s only so much I can do. As of now, I’m just like you, hoping and waiting to get another chance to make it in back-to-back years, Boston and then the Hall of Fame.
“I think I should have a shot, but like I said, it’s not up to me, and I can only hope and wait.”
Martinez was one of four individuals in the 2014 class of the Red Sox Hall of Fame announced earlier this month, joining shortstop Nomar Garciaparra, pitcher Roger Clemens and longtime radio broadcaster Joe Castiglione. He becomes eligible for the Baseball Hall of Fame next year.
“To me, it’s a great honor to actually go into the Red Sox Hall of Fame,” Martinez said. “I don’t (have) enough words to thank the organization. I’m extremely proud to have been chosen to go into the Hall of Fame, really happy. I think this once again makes me more of a Bostonian than ever. I keep saying I’m a Bostonian, and now, I can’t go away anymore.”
Martinez certainly has the numbers to merit Hall induction. During his 18-year MLB career, the hard-throwing right-hander earned eight All-Star nods, three Cy Young Awards and was a key player in the Red Sox’s 2004 World Series championship run. Martinez led the American League in ERA in four of those seasons and the NL in another, and his WHIP, ERA+ and WAR totals are among the best in major league history.
Powered by WordPress.com VIP