Derek Jeter ‘Angry’ That Contract Negotiations Went Public

Derek Jeter 'Angry' That Contract Negotiations Went Public As the bulk of baseball sat in the middle of Disney World on Tuesday afternoon, New York Yankees shortstop Derek Jeter offered up his own spectacle fewer than 100 miles away.

At a Tampa news conference to announce his contract extension, Jeter took the opportunity to rail against the circus that surrounded his negotiation and attracted more than its share of detractors for the All-Star shortstop.

"I'd be lying to you if I said I wasn't angry about how some of this went," Jeter said.

That was a portion of some harsh words that the captain, normally as calm, cool and collected as they come, delivered alongside team executives. He inked a three-year deal worth $51 million, with an option for a fourth year. The 36-year-old had been after more years and much more cash, which brought on the criticism from some members of the media and fans.

The market for Jeter had waned after his down year in 2010. He figured to get just a small fraction of his demands from any other team, and thus, his demands were made to look outlandish. The future Hall of Famer was less-than-pleased with the portrait.

"The thing that bothered me the most was how public this became," he added. "It was not an enjoyable experience."

Jeter did insist he was not going to "point fingers" and that the Yanks were "one big, happy family" now. Still, it is a bit shocking to see such words from a Yankees icon.

Yardbarker

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 187,174 other followers