Giancarlo Stanton’s talents are staying in South Beach.
The Marlins have long expressed a desire to keep Stanton despite continued speculation Miami might eventually trade the two-time All-Star. Marlins president David Samson told the Miami Herald on Monday that Stanton is a big part of the organization’s future plans.
“He’s on this team (in 2015) either way,” Samson said. “I can’t wait until after the season to sit down with Giancarlo and (agent) Joel Wolfe and talk about contract. We’re ready. We want him to be a Marlin well past his arbitration years.
“We hope that he believes in us and believes in Miami and believes in the direction of this team and recognizes that he has a chance to be the leader of a successful team for many years to come.”
Stanton, whose season ended earlier this month when he was struck in the face by a pitch, hit .288 with 37 homers, 105 RBIs and a .950 OPS. The 24-year-old has cemented himself as one of Major League Baseball’s most feared sluggers, meaning he’ll soon earn a nice payday, whether it’s with the Marlins or another franchise.
Stanton is eligible for free agency following the 2016 season.
Photo via Richard Mackson/USA TODAY Images
Powered by WordPress.com VIP