BOSTON — Dustin Pedroia pushed too hard, too soon.
The Red Sox placed Pedroia back on the 15-day disabled list before Saturday’s game against the Detroit Tigers at Fenway Park. Pedroia, who returned from the DL for Boston’s first game after the Major League Baseball All-Star break July 17, reaggravated the hamstring injury that previously sidelined him.
“The play in-game obviously built back up on him to the point of the aggravation,” Red Sox manager John Farrell said before Saturday’s game. “Can’t say there was a singular event that caused what he’s feeling. As he was going at it each and every day, the symptoms continued to persist and after the further imaging and further consultation between the medical staff, it was determined the best course of action was putting him on the DL.”
Pedroia, who missed Thursday’s series finale against the Houston Astros and Friday’s series opener against the Tigers, had been struggling since returning from the DL. The second baseman went 1-for-22 in six games to open the second half.
Pedroia never dealt with a hamstring issue before this season. He suffered the injury June 24 while rounding first base on a single. The four-time All-Star sat out the remainder of the first half and returned as the Red Sox kicked off their second-half slate on the West Coast against the Los Angeles Angels. He apparently never fully recovered, though. Thus, he’s back on the shelf with 65 games remaining.
“Pedey wanted to get back on the field, as we all know, when he was first available,” Farrell said. “Pedey was part of the process along the way as well, but more than anything, it was determined he wasn’t going to risk further injury, not that the injury has intensified, it’s still persisting. He needs some down time.”
This marks the second consecutive season in which Pedroia has battled an injury. He underwent season-ending thumb/wrist surgery last September after posting career-low offensive numbers over 135 games.
Pedroia has performed well, for the most part, when healthy this season. The 31-year-old is hitting .287 with nine home runs, 34 RBIs and a .774 OPS in 75 games.
Saturday’s starter, Steven Wright, took Pedroia’s spot on the active roster. The knuckleballer, who started Monday in Anaheim, never officially was added to the 25-man roster, as he was the Red Sox’s 26th man for their doubleheader against the Angels.
The Red Sox likely will add infield depth in the coming days, according to Farrell. Deven Marrero seems like the most logical candidate for a call-up. Marrero was optioned back to Triple-A Pawtucket earlier this week when outfielder/first baseman Daniel Nava was activated from the DL.
Thumbnail photo via Troy Taormina/USA TODAY Sports Images
Powered by WordPress.com VIP