The Carlos Tevez saga continues. In the middle of the January transfer window, Sky Sports is now reporting that Tevez has lost nearly £10 million ($15.8 million) during his 11-week-long holdout from Manchester City.
In the fall, Tevez left Manchester and returned to his native country, Argentina. He had previously been fined two weeks wages — roughly £400,000 ($628,640) — for refusing to warm up during a loss to Bayern Munich in a UEFA Champions League match.
After he left England on Nov. 7, Tevez did not return. Despite being linked with big-name teams such as Paris-Saint Germain, Inter Milan and AC Milan, Manchester City is refusing to let him go unless a team is willing to pay what it considers fair value. According to Manchester City, the transfer fee is in the range of £30 million ($47.2 million).
Manchester City chairman, Khaldoon Al Mubarak, has said many times that Tevez will not be released for any price under City’s valuation.
Tevez’s side is just as stubborn as that of City’s chairman. Tevez’s representative said money is not what motivates the 27-year-old striker.
One of Tevez’s spokesmen released a statement to Sky Sports News, saying, “Carlos has said many times before that money has never been a motivation.
“We reached an agreement with Manchester City in terms of his wages when he returned to Argentina and nothing has changed on that front. Now all Carlos wants to do is get back to playing football.”
Both Tevez and Manchester United striker Dimitar Berbatov led the Premier League in scoring during the 2010-11 campaign with 20 goals.
Thumbnail photo via Flickr/Catatan Bola Photo Gallery